Ian is the Head of Administration for the Department of Biology and works closely with the Head of Department on all aspects of policy, strategic planning, development, growth and sustainability whilst enabling the administrative team to provide the service, resources, advice and information required for the department’s effective operation and growth.
Ian manages the department's Professional Support Staff Team, and on a day to day basis is responsible for the non-academic management and administration of the department. This includes:
- budgeting and financial control, including purchasing, payments and expense claims;
- research grant applications and pre- and post- award grant management;
- recruitment and selection and all personnel related matters;
- health, safety and security;
- academic and student administration;
- IT, building and facilities management for the Departmental buildings and satellite sites
He also works closely with the members of the Mathematical, Physical ad Life Sciences Divisional Office, senior staff in the central university and his counterparts in other academic departments.
Previously Ian has worked as the Head of Administration and Finance for the Department of Materials at the University of Oxford. He has also worked in education as the Business Manager for various schools and prior to that he worked in the Financial Services industry.